In this article, you are going to learn how to teach English online in South Africa. ESL (English as a Second Language) teachers are professionals who teach English to learners who are not native speakers. They teach in various settings like schools, colleges, universities, and the workplace.
An ESL teacher is responsible for teaching English to learners in an institution or workplace. They also provide general knowledge about the country they are working in and help with cultural adaptation.
Table of Contents
Can I get paid to teach English online?
Yes, you can get paid to teach English online if you are passionate about learning new languages and teaching. You can earn between $600-$4,000 USD per month depending on your experience and qualifications. To begin, you can sign up with some of the leading online language schools.
Requirements for Teaching English Online in South Africa
In this section, you will find information on the teaching requirements for online teaching.
a). Be a Native English Speaker
To start teaching English online in South Africa, you are required to be a native speaker of English.
And you may be required to take English language testing to make sure you are a native English speaker.
No matter how good your English grammar is if you aren’t a native speaker (meaning English is your first language) you won’t be able to apply to certain jobs from some companies.
But all is not lost if you are not a native. There are other ways you can start.
b). Have a TEFL Certification or Other Teaching Qualification
A TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) is a certification that is widely recognized. If you are willing to take the exam and get certified, you might be able to teach abroad. It will take some years before you can get a TEFL certification.
Teaching English online in South Africa is an excellent means of earning an income and is the most popular means of learning. If you are interested in teaching English online in South Africa, you can earn up to 3x the normal rate if you complete the TEFL certification.
Other English certifications include;
- CELTA: Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults
- TEFL: Teaching English as a Foreign Language
- TESL: Teaching English as a Second Language
- TESOL: Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
c). Good Internet
Good internet connection is a requirement for online teaching. The connection must be fast and have a good latency. A good internet connection means that the internet speed is fast and reliable and that you are able to download and upload data fast.
d). Teaching experience
If you have experience teaching English online in South Africa, it will give you the advantage when applying for a position. If you don’t have experience, you can still apply, but it will be harder to get hired.
e). Bachelor’s Degree
You need to have a bachelor’s degree to teach English in South Africa. And the bachelor’s degree is not quite as generic as the TEFL.
This kind of bachelor’s degree is called an academic degree and it is mostly for English majors. It would be a degree in English Literature, English Language, English Literature and Language, English Literature, English Language and Literature, etc.
What are the Best Websites to Teach English Online in South Africa?
The internet is a great resource for anyone who wants to teach English online. There are many websites that offer this service, but not all of them are created equal. It is important to find the best website to teach English online in South Africa so that you can give your students the best classes possible.
The following is a list of the top three websites where you can teach English online in South Africa:
iTalki is the perfect place to teach English online in South Africa. They offer their tutors an excellent platform for teaching students with various levels of English proficiency at any time. You can choose your own hours, tutor location, subject, and student age.
iTalki is a leading online teaching platform. It is the biggest platform for teachers and learners to connect, making teaching and learning online a great experience. With over two million teachers online, iTalki has the largest pool of teachers and learners to choose from.
iTalki is a good website for online teaching and learning. With over two million teachers online, they have the largest database for teachers and learners to choose from. It is easy to use and the best site to list your jobs.
Verbling is a website and app that connects language learners with native speakers. The website and app provide a range of fun and engaging conversation topics to get you started in learning a new language.
Here’s how it works
- Find a tutor – Choose your ideal teacher from over 10,000 qualified language tutors.
- Book a lesson – Select a lesson time and add it to their calendar.
- Start learning – simple as that, you’re learning a language.
The first benefit of Verbling is that it has over 10 million users from all over the world and you are likely to find students in your area who are interested in learning. The second reason is the low fees. The third reason is the ease of finding students. The ease of finding students is the reason that Verbling was created in the first place.
iTutorGroup is a site where you can find teaching English online jobs from South Africa. The platform offers online teaching opportunities for both native English speakers and learners.
VIPKID is an online English teaching company that connects small groups of students with native English speakers for one-on-one virtual classes.
In fact, VipKid is a platform that provides students from all over the world with English education. There are over 10 million students registered and more than 1 million teachers online. Students pay a small enrollment fee and teachers get paid for teaching students, which is something most other platforms don’t offer.
The advantages of becoming a teacher on VipKid are endless. VIPKID offers different programs for different levels of English speakers. If you are looking for a teaching job, you can start with the VipKid Free English program. In this program, you can learn how to speak English and how to write in English as well as how to answer questions.
Another best platform to start teaching English online in South Africa is Camply. This is a website that will make you feel like a teacher.
You can use it to communicate with other teachers online and you can also use it to post your own lessons. One of the best things about Camply is that it is a place where you can share your knowledge.
Here are some of the benefits of using this platform;
- Get Paid Weekly – Earn for every minute you spend chatting! You make $0.17/min ($10.20/hour) on Cambly and $0.20/min ($12.00/hour) on Cambly Kids. Get paid via Paypal every Monday.
- Tutor anytime, anywhere – The best thing about Cambly is that it is a network that gives you the freedom to do what you want. You can set the schedule and pick your classes, you are your own boss. Every Monday, you are paid for the class hours that you have spent working and the rest is yours!
Magic Ears is an online English teacher website that provides flexible online work to individuals, schools, or businesses.
They teach according to the latest curriculum and offer a wide variety of opportunities for parents looking for interesting lessons to give their children.
At the same time, they have several programs to work with and many teachers have already joined MagicEars. They have a program called MagicEars Kids which is a free web-based program for children.
Here are some of the benefits of joining the platform as an online English teacher in South Africa.
- Earn up to $26/hr – As a teacher on MagicEars, you are able to earn up to $20.00 per hour. That is over $600.00 per week.
- Interactive platform – As an English teacher on MagicEars, you are able to interact with students and teachers from all over the world. You have the opportunity to teach them English and to help them with their English skills.
- Flexible hours – The ability to teach English on MagicEars is flexible. You are able to choose when to teach, you are able to choose the types of students that you teach, and you are able to choose the time that you want to teach.
- Free training resources – Every teacher on MagicEars has access to thousands of training resources and videos that can help them improve their teaching skills. The platform has a community of teachers and students who are always willing to help others.
How Do I Get Paid for Teaching English Online in South Africa? How Much Can I Earn?
Teaching English online in South Africa is a great way to make money if you are looking for an alternative to traditional teaching jobs. You can teach from anywhere and at any time, which makes it a flexible option.
The salary for teaching English online in South Africa is based on the number of hours you teach per month and your qualifications. The more qualified you are, the higher your salary will be.
As an English Language teacher, you can teach and share your knowledge with students all over the world. Teaching online is a great way for teachers to increase their salaries and do what they love without having to leave their homes.
The pay rate can be anywhere from $10 USD per hour to much higher salaries in certain regions, such as South Africa.
Conclusion: 5 Things You Should Never do if You Want to Teach English in South Africa
Teaching English in South Africa can be challenging. But if you follow these 5 steps, it will be easier and more enjoyable.
1) Research the schools and universities in your area: You should know which schools are looking for teachers and what qualifications they require.
2) Get a TEFL certificate: If you want to teach English as a second language, then you will need to get a TEFL certificate that is recognized by the South African government.
3) Apply to schools that are interested in hiring you: If you have researched the area, then this should be easy for you.
4) Get a work visa: Make sure that your work visa is valid before starting your job.
Going to a foreign country for work is a big decision and the first step is to get your work visa sorted. Work visas will dictate what you can and cannot do whilst in that country so it’s important to check that your visa is valid before you start.
5) Focus on teaching skills rather than teaching grammar: Teaching English is about
I believe that teachers should focus on teaching skills rather than teaching grammar because it is the skills that will allow a student to succeed in life.