Creating a website for yourself or a business does not require you to be a professional in coding. With today’s technology, you can create a website without having a background in web design.
There are several website builders that can help you create your own professional and user-friendly website.
Some website builders come with more advanced functions like email marketing or eCommerce capabilities. These features are important especially if you are trying to grow a following or monetize your site.
Choosing the perfect website builder for your website depends on your specific needs. There are soo many options making it overwhelming to choose, whether it’s for a simple website builder or an eCommerce website builder in case you want a more sophisticated business website.
To make it simple for you, we have come up with a list of some of the best and most popular website builders and the reasons why they are the best.
Best website builders and why
Table of Contents
Wix is the most popular website builder with over 110 million websites built. It has an unstructured editor which allows you to move any element to any spot on a page giving you plenty of freedom. It works best for users who want to be able to control everything and are comfortable with the risk that comes with control.
- Designer-Made Templates- Wix stands out due to its extensive selection of mobile-ready customizable themes. Currently, it has a template collection that encompasses more than 800 designs.
- Standard and Mobile Editors- The website builder offers two popular editing options which are the Standard WY SIWYG website editor and mobile editor. With the Standard mode, you can customize your desktop website design with regard to your needs. The edits you make using the Standard mode are automatically displayed in the mobile version but those you make in the mobile mode are not displayed in the desktop version.
- Wix ADI- Wix Artificial Design Intelligence tool provides users with a personal design assistant, which automatically creates website design and layout, filling it with content submitted by the user. It is also possible to edit a website to give it the preferred design and features. Having a quality draft is certainly an added advantage.
- Integrations – Wix App Market comes with multiple widgets and applications which can be integrated into a website to get the most out of its functionality. Some apps are paid while others are free and they are subdivided into categories based on their implication. With the search filter options, you get to save effort and time since it allows for the ease and convenience of search.
- eCommerce and Blogging – The website builder comes with quite powerful and flexible eCommerce and blogging engines, which allow users to start and effectively manage small-to-mid online stores and blogs. Both platforms have a broad range of design customization tools and options required both for website development and further online promotion.
- Wix Ascend Platform – it is an advanced business platform and an all-in-one solution, which grants access to over 20 professional tools that contribute to business performance and its effective management.
Wix’s pricing policy is worth the attention since it has a completely free plan that lets you test and explores the system in detail before upgrading to one of its paid plans.
Once you decide to opt for the advanced subscription, you will be able to choose from two types of Wix subscriptions, that is Website and Business/eCommerce.
Website plans start at $22 per month while Business plans start at $27 per month.
Squarespace is an all-in-one website builder which is recognized as one of the most popular contemporary DIY systems. Squarespace is mainly geared towards the needs of creatives and entrepreneurs.
The system makes it possible to launch different types of projects, however, the system works great for portfolios, blogs, and small digital web stores.
Even though the system is not quite easy to master especially for beginners, all websites built with Squarespace have appealing designs and noteworthy functionality.
- WY SIWYG Editor – Squarespace is a WY SIWYG website builder that lets you control the entire website development process. However, all the edits you make are saved automatically making the preview option unavailable. This simply means you only get to see the final result once a website is published. Note that your website visitors will see it along with the bugs and errors you can accidentally make.
- Responsive Templates – Squarespace templates are fully responsive and feature high quality, although the design is not that extensive as compared to other popular services. It comes with a convenient drag-and-drop editor that lets you pick and arrange the required website elements easier. They also offer professional templates that are great when it comes to the development of digital web stores, portfolios, blogs, cafe and restaurant websites, and even wedding sites.
- Portfolio Design Focus – Squarespace has a distinctive and rich feature set, which covers users’ portfolio creation needs. The system has a Cover Page Builder, HTML/CSS editing options, Checkout Page Editor for Digital Stores, and Logo & Title editing tool. Its advanced Style Editor lets you pick various page styles to come up to your needs. Once you pick the required page type, the rest of the pages will automatically adjust to it.
- eCommerce and Blogging – with this website builder you can easily launch and manage small-to-mid online stores and blogs. Its eCommerce feature comes with a free SSL Certificate, integrated shopping cart, appealing product display options, video embedding feature, and detailed product presentation and description.
- The blogging feature allows publishing and updating posts, enabling comments and RSS feeds, adding geolocation tags, using iTunes tagging, and reblogging options among others.
- Multilingual Support – you can create websites in different languages to let you reach the entire set of business/web design tasks you have set. This leads to more effective interaction with international partners and clients.
- Logo Maker – You can design and integrate quality logos to present your brand and improve its recognition on the web.
- Unfold App – Squarespace makes it possible to create and post engaging stories on social networks for better business promotion and client attraction.
- Squarespace Scheduling – as a business owner, you can effectively manage your schedules online. With Squarespace, you can also book classes/appointments, make online payments, schedule conferences and meetings, and update calendar events/plans.
Squarespace is a cloud website builder trusted with the creation of portfolios, small and mid-sized eCommerce websites, and business projects.
Squarespace does not offer any free plans but it allows testing the system’s functionality in a 14-day free trial. The paid subscription starts at $12 per month.
Shopify is the best world-renowned eCommerce website builder designed for online store owners and eCommerce websites.
It has a powerful feature set and collection of tools that ensure worthy results. Shopify has gained popularity with users who prefer shopping online. Products worth over 400 Billion dollars have been sold on Shopify’s platform.
According to research, 4.4% of all websites on the internet use Shopify as their eCommerce website builder.
- Point of Sale Software – the software has a POS feature that makes it possible to sell products in a physical location, accepting credit cards and using the system’s inventory, marketing, shipping, and management tools.
- Product Management Features – the platform allows the integration of a shopping cart and a “Buy” button to let your customers create the required number of product cards. The software also generates product embed codes in the automated mode to enable users to add products list to their projects. With its CSV file import/export feature, the product management process becomes more convenient.
- Advanced Marketing Options – the software has multiple advanced marketing tools and features that enable high-end results. You create online receipts, explore and analyze web store stats, control the balance of your eCommerce account and use some of the powerful Shopify features like App Store, BOGO discounts, Shopify Ping, and Shopify Tap & Chip Reader.
- Powerful Integration Opportunities – With Shopify’s powerful integration features, you can successfully integrate your Shopify account with world-known marketplaces and accounting software such as Amazon or Quickbooks.
- Augmented Reality – this advanced feature helps in boosting the efficacy of product promotion and sales growth. You can present the product available in stock in a 3D mode for your potential customers to see their advantages in detail.
The software pricing policy is moderate yet it complies with user expectations.
The features offered are more than enough to run any type of eCommerce project. You get a 14-day free trial to test one of Shopify subscriptions. Their subscription plan starts at $9 per month.
Weebly is an easy website builder software by Square, Inc., It has tons of great designs and functionality with which you can develop and customize appealing and full-featured web projects.
Its beautifully crafted page builder allows you to edit your website without requiring any coding skills.
With Weebly, you can create small-to-large online stores, and even launch other types of projects for personal and business applications. The software is also known for its extensive blogging, image editing, and integration capabilities.
- Extensive Integration Options – the software comes with soo many integrative widgets and apps you can choose for your projects. They include media files, maps, slideshows, image collections, search boxes, and whatnot. Embed Code feature lets you add the required amount of elements to your page to give it a unique design.
- eCommerce – currently Weebly is the top-notch eCommerce focus. The software has multiple business-targeting features which help your web store performance. These include an integrated shopping cart, safe payment and shipping options, extensive product management tools, convenient and helpful search filter options, exclusive offers and customer support assistance, CSV product import/export, and handy mobile apps.
- Blogging – With Weebly you can connect and manage a full-featured blog for your project. To start your blog all you do is add, update, and schedule posts, select a preferable commenting system, customize footers and headers for each post added, and select meta tags for articles and whatnot. You also get a set of blog templates that are free and customizable as well.
- Weebly Promote Tool – this tool which was recently introduced unveils multiple email marketing options for the system users. The tool comes with a set of ready-made designs for different email types and it automatically creates messages with regard to user activity. Weebly promotes also offers a handy email drag-and-drop constructor, numerous tech support tools, contact segmentation options, and more.
- Video Hosting – with Weebly, you can upload and publish videos on any website, offering two options. Which are YouTube integration and Standard video upload and hosting. With the first option, you need to integrate videos from YouTube and other external platforms into your Weebly-powered project. The second option allows you to upload videos directly to Weebly servers to further integrate them into a project.
Weebly stands out due to its versatile and affordable pricing policy. The software offers several types of subscriptions including a free never-expiring plan that lets you test the entire feature set of the system.
The paid plans start at $4 per month and grow with regard to the features/terms included in paid subscriptions.
WordPress is the world’s most used Content Management System powering over 43% of all websites on the internet.
It can be used to start and customize all types of simple-to-complex projects. The platform has impressive design customization options, the versatility of plugins, and powerful integration features.
WordPress has two versions one being the self-hosted WordPress CMS, and the second one WordPress.com.
The self-hosted WordPress content management system (CMS) is one of the best website builders due to its powerful features, scalability, and ease of use.
Unlike the other website builders, you need a WordPress hosting account and host your own website.
- Blogging Engine – initially, WordPress was created as a blogging platform and thus it offers an extensive range of features and tools with which you can set up and customize full-featured blogs. However, you can start other types of projects with the platform.
- Plugin and Template Integration – there are multiple WordPress plugins and themes you can find on the web which are both free and paid. However, free plugins/designs are not altogether safe and reliable as they may encompass malware that may later put your website’s safety and performance at risk.
- Gutenberg Editor – the editor has simplified the web design process, eliminating the need for code editing. All you need to do is browse the collection of content blocks to customize further and set them up while creating a website layout.
- Hosting Provider – since WordPress does not have its own hosting, the CMS recommends using Bluehost as it is one of the most trusted and full-featured systems available in the market.
WordPress is initially free and can be downloaded and installed at no cost. You can also create free websites with the system.
However, if you need deeper functionality for your WordPress projects, you will need to invest in plugin/template integration.
You will also need to take care of hosting and domain choice.
GoDaddy is one of the largest domain name registrars and web hosting service providers which has gained worldwide popularity due to its impressive domain name and hosting features.
Many business owners use GoDaddy to host WordPress websites and for those who don’t want to use WordPress, the platform offers a simple online website builder.
- Hosting and Domain Name Provider – GoDaddy currently hosts millions of projects and this number keeps increasing with every passing month. The website builder however can be recommended for application only if you need a simple website or have a domain name registered with the platform.
- Blogging and eCommerce – with GoDaddy you can start a simple blog and web store due to its basic integrated blogging and eCommerce engines. Developing a website is easy, convenient, and intuitive when using GoDaddy.
- High-End Website Management Options – the system allows you to control the process of project creation and further promotion. This makes it possible to integrate contact forms, promo banners, CTA buttons, Single Image Library, and other elements that are a must-have for a quality website.
- Social Media Integration – you can pick and integrate your social media accounts into any project you work on. Linking your Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and other social media accounts helps users find out more about your business and subscribe to recent news and updates.
- GoDaddy Website+Marketing – this is a recently introduced feature that lets you effectively promote your website using tools and features available in the single Website+Marketing dashboard.
GoDaddy has a 30-day trial after which you will have to pick a premium plan to comply with your needs.
It has four subscriptions with the cost starting at $12.95 per month.
Zyro is a cheap AI website builder presenting a new generation of modern web design platforms. The system has an Artificial Intelligence tool, which allows the creation of personal and business websites in an intuitive and without hassle.
All you need to get started is to provide your project-related content to let the system create a project for you in the automated mode.
The platform also comes with built-in marketing tools, high-end business management solutions, and design customization options.
- Logo Maker – the system allows you to independently design a logo for your business. With the built-in Logo Maker, you get to access and use a toolset to create and customize your logo.
- AI Tools and AI Writer – since the software is powered by Artificial Intelligence, it grants access to several AI tools to simplify your project creation/customization process. The AI Writer can automatically generate SEO-friendly content for your business project, which enhances its position in search engine results. The system has other AI-based tools such as AI Heat Map, Slogan Generator, Business Name Generator, etc.
- Google Maps Embedding – you can integrate Google Maps to display the exact physical location of your business. It is possible to embed a map to your Contacts page or to any other section to notify users about your company location.
- image /Video Integration – with Zyro, you can create different types of websites, therefore video/image integration option will be handy here. This is a great way to present your business, the company you work in, recent news, updates, events, and other related info users may be interested in.
- CTA Buttons – integrating CTA buttons into your business website or a personal project is an advantage. With this, you get to attract user attention and urge customers to complete the actions you expect from them.
The website builder is cost-effective and affordable but it doesn’t have a free plan or trial.
It has several premium subscriptions to pick from with its cheapest plan starting at $2.90 per month.
The system also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee in case there are things you don’t like about the selected plan.