When it comes to the web hosting industry, there are many different players in the game. But which one is best for you? This blog post will help you find out an A-Z of blog hosting in South Africa.
What is a blog?
A blog is a website where you can share your thoughts and ideas with the world. You can use a blog to talk about anything you want, from your favorite products to your opinions on current events.
Why should I start a blog?
There are many reasons why you might want to start a blog in South Africa. Maybe you want to share your passion for photography, or you want to write about your experiences abroad.
One of the most important reasons is personal branding – this means that people will be able to find out more about who you are and what inspires you.
Another one is to make money online in South Africa. Yes, you can make money from blogging.
There are many ways to do this, such as through affiliate marketing or by selling your own products and services.
How do I start a blog in South Africa?
Starting a blog is easy – all you need is a domain name and web hosting. A domain name is the address of your website (e.g. thenextweb.co) and web hosting is where your files are stored so that people can access them online (e.g server space).
What do I need to get started?
a). Domain Name
First, you’ll want a domain name – this should be something unique but also relevant to what your blog will talk about e.g mytraveldiary.co.za.
How to pick the best website name?
To find the perfect name for your blog or website, use a tool like BizNameWiz.com.
It shows how available certain names are and suggests similar options.
Also, make sure the name you picked is easy to read and remember.
Additionally, ensure that the name instantly communicates what your website is all about.
To achieve that, use a keyword within your website name.
Truehost is a perfect website name because when you hear or read it, you almost understand what the website is all about.
At the same time, it is short, which means it is easier for people to grasp and remember the domain whenever they need it.
Take this into account when choosing the perfect website name as far as blog hosting in South Africa is concerned.
b). Web Hosting
Next in blog hosting in South Africa, you will need web hosting – this is where your files are stored so that people can access them online (e.g server space).
There are many hosting companies out there, but we recommend using Truehost Africa as they offer great customer service and speeds.
Cost of blog hosting in South Africa?
Well, with Truehost Africa, you can host a website for as low as R6.67 per month.
This package comes with 1 GB of disk space so you can store files of up to 1 website.
Additionally, you get 1GB of bandwidth, a free SSL certificate to keep your website safe and secure.
On top of that, you get a one-click installer. More on this in a minute.
Besides what we have already talked about, there are different types of blog hosting in South Africa.
What hosting plan should I get?
There are three main hosting plans, which are shared hosting, VPS, and dedicated servers.
- Shared Hosting: This is the cheapest option but it has many limitations – for instance, you have a limited amount of storage space and bandwidth so you can’t run resource-intensive websites or apps on this plan. If your website goes viral then there’s no guarantee that your host will be able to cope.
- VPS: A Virtual Private Server (VPS) is a great option if you want more control over your blog hosting in South Africa. You get your own virtual server in South Africa from R80 per month, which gives you the flexibility to install any software you need.
- Dedicated Servers: If you have a high traffic website then you’ll need a dedicated server blog hosting in South Africa. This is the most expensive option, but it gives you complete control over your hosting environment and you can install any software you like.
What’s the difference between shared hosting and VPS in South Africa?
– Shared Hosting: This is the cheapest option and is perfect for small websites in South Africa. Your website shares resources with other websites on the same server.
– VPS: A Virtual Private Server (VPS) is a great option if you want more control over your hosting environment. You get your own virtual server, which gives you the flexibility to install any software you need.
What’s the difference between shared hosting and dedicated servers?
– Shared Hosting: This is the cheapest option and is perfect for small websites. Your website shares resources with other websites on the same server.
– Dedicated Servers: If you have a high traffic website then you’ll need a dedicated server. This is the most expensive option, but it gives you complete control over your hosting environment and you can install any software you like.
c). Blogging Platform
The next step in blog hosting in South Africa is picking a blogging platform.
See, once you have your domain name and web hosting sorted, it’s time to pick a blogging platform for your blog in South Africa – this is the tool that will allow you to edit posts and upload photos, etc.
We love WordPress as it’s easy to use and very versatile.
But there are other options, and here is a quick overview of each.
Types of Blogging Platforms in South Africa
- WordPress: WordPress is the most popular blogging platform in South Africa and is used by many big names, such as The Huffington Post. It’s easy to use and very versatile.
- Blogger: Blogger is a Google product and is also very easy to use. You can create a free blog on their site in minutes.
- Wix: Wix is an easy-to-use platform and is great for people who don’t want to spend a lot of time learning how to code.
- Tumblr: This blogging platform posts your content in reverse chronological order, so it’s perfect if you like sharing lots of images on social media platforms such as Instagram or Pinterest.
As mentioned earlier, our recommendation is using WordPress.
For starters, WordPress is free forever. It also supports a ton of customizations, which means you can have a dream blog in South Africa without breaking a sweat.
How do I start a blog on WordPress in South Africa?
If you’re using WordPress, you can follow these simple steps:
- Install WordPress to your domain using a one-click installer. This is the tool we talked about earlier. With it, you can install any available script onto your domain with a click of a button.
- Pick a blog theme. A theme will dictate how your website looks and feel. As such, make sure to pick something that is appealing to the eye and easy to navigate.
- Install plugins to add functionality (e.g Yoast for SEO). Plugins brings additional functionality to your website. For example; Yoast SEO helps you prepare the blog for search engines.
The next step in blog hosting in South Africa is publishing content.
All you have to do is write an article and hit publish once done. Now, depending on your blogging topic in South Africa, you may have to some additional tasks such as making sure the article is SEO optimized.
SEO stands for search engine optimization.
This is the process we talked about a minute ago, where you ensure that the blog posts are search engine friendly.
By this, I mean that they should show up when someone searches for related keywords.
Here’s an example;
If you write and publish an article about the best fridges, whenever someone goes to Google and types ‘best fridges in South Africa’
Your article should be among the top results.
AND you can achieve that through SEO.
Here is what you need to do now;
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the process of optimizing your blog to rank higher in search engine results.
- Identify long tail keywords related to your topic and use them throughout your posts so that Google can easily find you
- don’t forget about images too!
- Include the keyword within the title, the meta description, and in the body of your post
- Use external links to other authoritative websites
Once again, do not forget to Install a plugin like Yoast for SEO to help you optimize your blog posts.
How much does blog hosting cost in South Africa?
The costs of starting your own blog in South Africa will vary, depending on the blog hosting company you use and how advanced your website is. Shared hosting plans are usually cheaper than VPS or dedicated servers but have more limitations, going for as low as R6.67 per month. And the domain starting from R18 per year depending on the extension.
You can also purchase a domain name and hosting plan from the same provider, which will make it easier to set up your blog.
Does blogging pay in South Africa?
Yes, many bloggers in South Africa have found success by blogging about their expertise, passion, or hobby.
- Set up a website around your blog and monetize it using advertising banners or affiliate marketing e.g ‘best laptops under 15k’ – recommended products will be displayed on the site with links to where you can buy them from
- Use social media to drive traffic to your blog and interact with other bloggers in your niche
Blogging can be a great way to make money online in South Africa, but it takes time and effort to see results. Keep writing high quality content and you’ll start seeing the rewards.
How do I monetize my blog in South Africa?
There are many ways to monetize your blog in South Africa, including:
- Displaying advertising banners or links
- Affiliate marketing – recommending products and services to your readers and earning a commission when they make a purchase
- Sponsored posts – writing paid reviews of products or services
- Selling digital products or courses
Which hosting is best for blog in South Africa?
If you are looking for the best hosting provider for your blog in South Africa, Truehost Africa is here. They are the top-rated web hosting company in South Africa, with thousands of raving customers thanks to their affordability and 24/7/365 customer service.
There you have it, everything you need to know about blog hosting in South Africa. With this guide, you are able to start a blog and attract thousands of readers within no time.
If you have any doubts or questions, let us know in the comments below.